Friday, January 1, 2016

The year ahead, in mores and lesses

It's a few minutes before three in the morning and I just can't fall asleep. Granted, I haven't tried very hard - but I can't seem to switch of my brain tonight (this morning? time is a weird thing).

It's, technically, New Years Day 2016. Most everyone takes this as a time to reevaluate their lives, decide what needs staying and what needs going. The whole "new year, new me" thing - catchy, irritating, and will most likely not see the end of January. However, I too have developed my own personal list of things that I'd like to see happen in my ideal 2016 - I'm calling it my "More & Less List".

More
-Water
-Exercise
-Positive thinking
-God
-Community Service
-Hailey time

Less
-Electronics
-Negative thought processes
-Keeping things in
-Short-sidedness
-Sweets

We shall see, I hope, how this progresses. I'm in a weird brain space about it being the first day of a new year and having it fall on a Friday. In my ideal it would be January 1 on a Sunday.



Also, again this year, for being a catechist, I was gifted "A Book of Grace-Filled Days"by Jessica Mesman Griffith. If I feel like it, I shall be putting in a little blurb about the day. First one*:

As proof that you are children, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God - Galatians 4:6-7

Excerpt from Jessica's personal section - Remember today all you stand to inherit. Don't squander your freedom.

What I take from this: God gave us Jesus to save us from ourselves. He knew that we would do wrong, but gave us a wonderful way to gain forgiveness. If we think daily about all the things we will get by inheriting the kingdom, we would be able to live more meaningful lives. Less selfish, more giving. Don't take things for granted.

*Just realized this book began on the first day of the Liturgical Year - which is Advent - November 29. Wow... I'm way behind. Also, I should have known this, really. Am I a bad Catholic???

Happy New Year, all.
-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment