Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year, Same Goal

Anyone still here? Anyone?? Bueller...?

Yes, so... As we can all tell, I've failed at the whole blogging thing. Why, you may ask? Well, to be straight to the point, I am an incredibly lazy, forgetful, unorganized individual. Just ask my seven on-going 'To-Do' lists and my four year old... "Mommy, are you EVER going to get my chocolate milk? I asked for it TWO Backyardigans ago!"

Okay... So it's the new year.

2012... Some say it's the Earth's last year. Apocalypse, yadda-yadda-yadda... I don't know. I'll most likely forget what December 21st is supposed to mean on the day it arrives. I'll be obivious to whatever happens or doesn't happen.

I used to do new years resolutions... Until I realized that I had the same ones every year... Obviously, they never got accomplished, so why should I keep making these unobtainable promises? I have no self control. I always want to lose weight, be more active in volunteering, spend more time with my family, be nicer to others, blah, blah, blah, etc...

This year, I just want to prioritize my online life and my real one.

I don't know how many people can sympathize with my situation, but when I started becoming active in the online fanfiction community, I totally hid it from everyone. My daughter was just about one year old, I wasn't working very much, and I was just getting used to the fact that her dad wasn't going to be coming back. I drowned my sorrows the way I had my whole life... By reading a book. The book happened to be Twilight, followed very quickly by the other three in the series. I still needed more. I went to Meyer's website and found TwilightMoms from there. I posted a few things and somehow stumbled upon fanfiction. From there, I got hooked on Twilighted and A Different Forest.

On top of that, someone posted a campfire on ADF about some cute Brittish guy reading Twilight on YouTube (Alex Day aka nerimon). He was so effing funny... I watched all the videos he had posted. In a lot of them he talked about his friend, Charlie, who also was a YouTuber. So I then watched all of charlieissocoollike's video's. Then he was talking about this Trok band that he and Alex were in called Chameleon Circuit. At this point, I was becoming an internet fangirl so I just ordered their CD and fell in love. Now, I'm sure you're wondering what Trok is... Time Lord Rock. Time Lords... Doctor Who. Excellent British scifi show... That I had to go and watch gagillion episodes of on Netflix.

Charlie and Alex also introduced me to vlogbrothers John and Hank Green. John is an excellent author (cue me ordering and reading all of his books) and Hank is a great musician (cue me ordering and listening to all his music). They, in turn, have introduced me to a million other internet things via the nerdfighteria community and all the things and people that DFTBA (Don't Forget To Be Awesome).

The fanfiction community has introduced me to Harry Potter fics (as I was already a HP lover since Sorcerer's Stone was published) and now The Hunger Games series and fanfics.

My Twilight mini-obsession prompted me to a lovely three day vacation to Seattle and Forks, Washington a few years ago. I've spent over one thousand dollars on merchandise and online gift trades.

I've met a lot of people who I would now consider my closest friends via the internet. They've got me stuck on Pinterest now, too.

I even beta (edit) fanfiction stories for Project Team Beta.

This has literally taken over the last four years of my life... AND NO ONE IN MY REAL LIFE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF IT.

I am constantly gripped at by my mother for always being on my laptop or iPhone "fiddling around" as she says. But I'm reading fic or posting on the forums or checking new campfires or watching YouTube videos or so many other things!!!

I don't know how to stop any of it but I know my family will think I'm a serious freak if I tell them anything about it.

I just need to learn balance, but I don't know how.

Now, I'm rambling... I'll be back in a few days, but I'm just glad I got this out there. So now someone knows where it all started and why I JUST CAN'T STOP!

Until next time.

-Megan

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! you are back! I didnt know how involved u were with fanfic. hook a girl up geez! lol. Noone outside my "online" friends which arent a lot, just you lovely ladies know my love for twilight fanfic. I havent ventured into anything else. I'm a twilight snob, what can I say. It takes time to balance things. its not easy. You just have to prioritize. one day at a time. Set up a schedule. I'm lazy as well, I think its hereditary. I'm sticking with that. Let me know if you need to vent, or whatever :)

    ReplyDelete